Every year on August 1st the official college application season begins with the launch of the Common Application aka the Common App. Used by over 900 different colleges, it will probably be the primary application your student will use to apply. (What are the other types? A few colleges have their own application and some colleges. About 150 use the Coalition Application. Applicants to Historically Black Colleges and Universities can use the Common Black College Application.)
Senior parents, are we in denial? La la la…I can’t hear you!
Maybe a bit. It’s still summer after all! We totally get it. We’re parents too.
But there is nothing to stop the train now. It’s here. Waiting to get started on the tasks ahead only makes it all feel worse.
So, what do you need to know?
We have some blogs that can give you support:
- Common App essay prompts can be found here.
- Information about deadlines can be found here. Some colleges have deadlines as early as October 15! Most are November or December 1st. (In this blog post, we talk about the difference between “early action” and “early decision.” It can be confusing. Email us if you have questions!)
- Don’t forget to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) starting on October 1st. Click here for some background on it.
- Visit a college fair this fall to ask last minute questions. Click here for college fair tips.
- Don’t forget our Resource Library for important links.
What else can you do now? Consider these two things:
1. Sign your student up for one of our College Application Workshops. The words from a previous workshop parent sums up the value of this workshop…
“…I thought she’d been in her room watching Netflix all summer. Then she showed me her spreadsheet with admissions requirements, available scholarships, admission deadlines, which essays are required, etc. for all seven schools she is interested in. She’s also sketching out essays. We’re so happy we had her take the workshop – there is no way she would be this far along if she had not.
Click here to learn about all we offer at this workshop…much more than most school districts have time to provide (we spend 3 hours with your child)…applications (actually get started on the Common App), essays (we have a guest instructor for this part), deadlines, ACT/SAT, recommendation letters, choosing a major, researching colleges, scholarships, and more.
A truly valuable part of this class is YOUR STUDENT is hearing the message from us not you! We’ll do some follow up text messages to touch base with support along the way after the class is over. They steer the ship because they have the knowledge they need! They’ll also walk away with a binder of resources and a folder box for organization.
Don’t miss this…very limited number of classes every summer.
2. Schedule a one-on-one Senior Private Consultation for your family.
Perhaps the College Application workshop does not fit your family’s schedule? Maybe you’d like more personalized support for the family? Our 90-minute Senior Private Consultations are not as “soup to nuts” as the student class, but they are targeted to just what your family needs help with.
Let’s take our fingers out of ears. 😉
This process is doable WITHOUT stress. Ok, with LESS stress…IF you know what to do and create a plan of action. The College Application Workshop and the Senior Private Consultation can be a life saver.
Let’s face it. Our kids have likely never been part of a process with such big consequences. Get the help you need.
Enjoy this post? Don’t want to miss any future blogs about education, college, or careers?