Two session, in-person workshop:
- Session I – STUDENT ONLY: Monday, November 7 – 6:00 to 8:00 pm (Rm 116)
- Session II – STUDENT AND PARENT: Thursday, November 10 – 6:00 to 8:00 pm (Rm 114)
- Location: Roush Hall at Otterbein University, 27 South Grove St, Westerville, OH 43081
What is Heads Up?
An enlightening and fun career-minded workshop for students in the middle grades (GRADES 7, 8, & 9)! All activities help students properly prepare for high school and beyond.
Each workshop is two hours per day, two days in each session. Workshop dates are separated by a number of days to accommodate homework. The workshop includes small group, individual, and whole group activities.
Topics covered will include:
- Self assessment – the importance of tracking your strengths, values, and preferences
- Career investigation – how to evaluate and learn about potential careers and tie personal traits to real jobs
- Planning for high school and beyond – Based on your child’s strengths, interests, and preferences, we will share key considerations for the family to create a high school plan to meet their goals
Is this really worth my family’s time and money?
- Students invest time in thinking about the future.
- They gain new insights parents can build upon.
- We spend the second day with families brainstorming together.
- Class has a 6:1 student to teacher ratio (or better) to encourage interaction.
- This class can be the spark to start career exploration with purpose.
- It can influence course selection in high school.
- It can guide summer activities.
- Boost your child’s confidence!
- Leads to meaningful communication with your child based upon the actual words and feelings of your teen.
What age student is right for this workshop?
The workshop will work best for students age 11 to 15 in 7th, 8th, and 9th grades.
What do previous students and parents have to say about this workshop?
“I will remember the things that I learned about myself that just kind of go over your head until you stop and think about them.”
“This will help in my career path and distinguishing possible career choices and eliminating others.”
I will remember “…how you made us discover who we were. I thought it was funny and useful.”
“At The Core was a wonderful experience for my 8th grade twins. They attended the two day Heads Up workshops and for the first time, were able to self-identify their strengths, their areas of passion and understand how important these things are while planning a high school and college career.”
Please note: Minimum enrollment must be met for workshop to go forward as scheduled.
Refund policy: Attendees can receive full refunds up to 7 days before the event. No refunds will be issued after November 1, 2022 at 12:00 am EST. If program is cancelled due to circumstance beyond our control (example COVID-related closures), we will refund your ticket purchase.
After registering, you will be sent a medical release form required by Otterbein that must be completed and returned to us by October 31, 2022.
COVID note: All attendees will be required to follow the venue’s mask policy that is in effect at the time of the workshop.